Updated December 7, 2021
APPLICANTS: Please scroll down to review the APPLICATION PROCESS and download the EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION
Part-Time Adult Young Adult Services Associate, Grade VI / Adult Young Adult Services Department
The Oak Lawn Public Library has an opening for a part-time Adult Young Adult Services Associate, Grade VI, in the Adult Young Adult Services Department. This is a 16 – hours per week “non-exempt” position with a work schedule that includes evenings and weekends. Salary is $17.38 per hour in the Adult Young Adult Services Department.
- Support the Adult Young Adult Services Department by initiating and reinforcing consistent workflow, providing excellent patron services, and assisting with programming and promotions.
- The nature of assigned tasks and responsibilities will depend, in part, upon the number of hours scheduled.
- Provide coverage for the adult reference desk in coordination with department librarians. Answer directional questions placed via any format. Assist patrons in locating information and materials. Assist patrons in the use of library equipment. Provide basic reader’s advisory service.
- Plan and conduct programs and outreach initiatives in cooperation with and under the supervision of department librarians including but not limited to in-person, virtual, and off-site programming.
- Coordinate with department librarians to promote the library’s physical and digital collections relevant to community needs, including but not limited to displays, bibliographies, and bookmarks.
- Recommend collection materials for library purchase and assist with inventory and weeding projects as directed.
- Keep informed of developments in the library field through reading and participation in professional activities and meetings.
- Perform other tasks assigned by department supervisor.
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field; Minimum of three years library experience; Interest and ability in working with the public; Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, including the ability to create and present viable public programs; Ability to work independently and with attention to detail; High degree of computer literacy; Schedule includes evenings and weekends.
To apply: please submit your resume, cover letter, and three professional references, to email@example.com.
At the core of any great Library is a dedicated and engaged staff. We as a community can work collaboratively to fulfill the Library mission. We are always accepting applications from those who are talented and creative to join our team.
The Oak Lawn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, faith, ethnic origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability or other factor prohibited by law. The Library complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Application forms are available on this web site and at the Customer Services Desk on the first floor. The Library receives resumes and applications on a continuing basis as well as in response to external advertisements. Resumes and applications are retained and considered “active” for six months. Applicants who are still interested in employment at the Library after six months have lapsed should submit another resume or application in order to receive continued consideration. Resumes and applications can be submitted via firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to the Human Resources Department.
Eligibility & Benefits
Eligibility for various Library benefits varies according to employment status, position grade level and length of employment (for vacation leave). Employment status levels include:
Full-time (37.5 hours per week)
Part-time Level 2 (20 to 28 hours per week)
Part-time Level 1 (8 to 19 hours per week)
The Library offers the following benefits to eligible employees:
Full-time: Paid personal business leave, group insurance (medical, dental and vision), long-term disability insurance and life insurance
Full-time and Part-time Level 2: Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) – pension plan with short-term disability provision (4.5% employee contribution), paid vacation leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays (9 per year), paid birthday holiday, tax-sheltered annuity plan and tuition reimbursement
Compensation and Personnel Policy
In accordance with Section 7.3 of the Open Meetings Act, a list of all employees whose total compensation package exceeds $75,000 is available from the Library Director or the Administrative Secretary.
GENERAL – The Personnel Policy of the Library does not give any employee or potential employee a property or liberty interest in a specific classification or position. The overall responsibility for selection and hiring of staff lies with the Director. Employment is contingent upon passing a criminal background check and formal approval by the director.
CITIZENSHIP – The Library requires that employees hired after November 6, 1986, be either a United States citizen or authorized to be employed in the United States. Verification of this must be provided at the time of hiring and shall consist of either a United States passport, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, an unexpired foreign passport authorizing U.S. employment, or a resident alien card containing the applicant’s identification and U.S. employment authorization. If applicants do not have any of the above documents, they may provide instead the following combination of documents: either a Social Security Card or U.S. Birth Certificate, and a driver’s license or similar State identification.
AGE – The Library does not employ individuals under the age of 16 unless proper work permits are obtained and verified prior to the commencement of employment. Any employee working with a work permit shall have a limited work schedule to accommodate school night work restrictions. The library has no mandatory retirement age.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT – The Oak Lawn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, faith, ethnic origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or other factor prohibited by law.