All programs are open to Teens grades 9-12
Monday-Thursday / 3-9 p.m.
Saturday / 1-5 p.m.
Sunday / Closed till Oct.
We are looking for YA book reviews! If you have been reading over the last few weeks and want to earn some hours. Take some time and create a book review.
You can do this in video, audio, or written format. Be sure to include the following guidelines in your review:
- Title of book
- Author of book
- Number of pages
- Genre (fiction or nonfiction, and type: fantasy, science fiction, realistic, etc.)
- Is it part of a series? Yes/No
- Your best guess about reading level (i.e., middle school, high school, grades 7-9, mature, etc.) What grade you are in
- How you want to be credited (first name, initials, or anonymous)
- Describe what the book is about (plot, main characters, etc.). Don’t give an entire synopsis, as you would in a book report—this is more like a movie trailer, a teaser to make people want to read it. Especially don’t give away the ending, or any significant spoilers!!!
- Give your opinion of the book. This part of the review is not fulfilled by saying “It was awesome!” What did you like? What did you dislike? Why? What thoughts or feelings did the book inspire? To whom would you recommend the book? Remember, this isn’t a school assignment— it’s you, talking about a book you chose to read, and recommending it to your friends (or not).
Other things you could choose to comment on:
- The cover—did you like it or not, and why? Was it an accurate reflection of the contents?
- Indicate if this book is part of a series and, if so, whether you have read the rest of the series and would recommend it as well. (Again, no spoilers!)
- How would you rate this book, and why?
5 Hard to imagine a better book
4 Better than most
2 Needs more work—weak plot, poor writing, whatever
1 HOW did this book get published?
Reviews will be posted on the YA Tumblr page . For each submission, you can earn one hour of volunteering, for up to 3 total hours.
Contact your representatives
Even if you’re not old enough to vote, you can still let your reps know what you think at every level of government.
Here are your representatives
Not sure what to say? Here are some issues that are trending:
- Gun control/Gun rights
- LGBT rights
- Reproductive rights
- National security
- Health Care
You can also talk about anything else that is important to You!
Not sure how to contact them? You can:
- Call (Check out 5calls.org )
- An email
- A postcard
- A Tweet
Please share a copy of your letter/or proof of your call in order to get service hours. You can get 1 hour of service per letter/call for a total of 3 hours.
Fall 2023 Teen Programs
Programs take place in the Teen Room, open Monday-Thursday from 3-9 p.m., Fridays from 3-6 p.m., and Saturdays from 1-5 p.m. Closed on Sunday till Oct.
The Hundreds Club
Starting Friday, Sept. 15
Teens and adults, join our new library club that celebrates reading all year round! Keep track of your books on the free Beanstack app, and we’ll host a quarterly in-person reception to cheer you on. Members will receive prizes or certificates (plus applause) for all the books they read! To sign up, go to olpl.beanstack.org, visit the Adult Services Desk, or call 708-422-4990. Your prize for registration is a ticket to our 100 Cupcake Kickoff!
100 Cupcake Kickoff
Saturday, Sept. 16 at 11 a.m.
Let’s celebrate reading with a cupcake reception featuring live music, trivia and prizes.
Monday Night Gaming
Mondays from 5-8 p.m.
Board games and video games await in the Teen Room!
Movie Night Wednesday
Wednesdays from 6-8 p.m.
Kick back with friends and enjoy the surprise movie of the week!
Thursdays, Sept. 7, Oct. 5 & Nov. 2 from 7-8 p.m.
Do you like anime or manga? Join our club! Watch anime and have snacks with your fellow fans!
Practice SAT Testing (R)
Saturday, Jun. 24 from 1-4 p.m.
We are offering free SAT practice testing to all students. Please bring a graphic calculator. We will provide pencils, paper and water. Limited to 10 registrants.
Let’s Talk College! More Options. Less Debt
Thursday, Oct. 19 from 7-8 p.m.
Join us for an info session on college admissions, financial options, and other big questions about your education presented by Moraine Valley Community College. Parents welcome!
Teen Volunteering Form
Interested in volunteering? Complete the volunteer form below to be notified of upcoming opportunities.