Teen Services @OLPL
TEEN PROGRAMS – OPEN TO TEENS IN GRADES 9 THROUGH 12
The Teen Room is now open after school (3pm-close) and on the weekend (1-5pm) just for high school students (grades 9-12). Sign up to receive notifications about Movie or Anime Nights, LGBTQ drop-ins, MakerSpace projects and other events in the Teen Room at remind.com/join/olpl.
Interested in volunteering? Click here to complete the volunteer application.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
We are looking for YA book reviews! If you have been reading over the last few weeks and want to earn some hours. Take some time and create a book review. You can do this in video, audio, or written format. Be sure to include the following guidelines in your review:
- Title of book
- Author of book
- Number of pages
- Genre (fiction or nonfiction, and type: fantasy, science fiction, realistic, etc.)
- Is it part of a series? Yes/No
- Your best guess about reading level (i.e., middle school, high school, grades 7-9, mature, etc.) What grade you are in
- How you want to be credited (first name, initials, or anonymous)
- Describe what the book is about (plot, main characters, etc.). Don’t give an entire synopsis, as you would in a book report—this is more like a movie trailer, a teaser to make people want to read it. Especially don’t give away the ending, or any significant spoilers!!!
- Give your opinion of the book. This part of the review is not fulfilled by saying “It was awesome!” What did you like? What did you dislike? Why? What thoughts or feelings did the book inspire? To whom would you recommend the book? Remember, this isn’t a school assignment— it’s you, talking about a book you chose to read, and recommending it to your friends (or not).
Other things you could choose to comment on:
- The cover—did you like it or not, and why? Was it an accurate reflection of the contents?
- Indicate if this book is part of a series and, if so, whether you have read the rest of the series and would recommend it as well. (Again, no spoilers!)
- How would you rate this book, and why?
5 Hard to imagine a better book
4 Better than most
2 Needs more work—weak plot, poor writing, whatever
1 HOW did this book get published?
Reviews will be posted on the YA Tumblr page . For each submission, you can earn one hour of volunteering, for up to 3 total hours.
Contact your representatives
Even if you’re not old enough to vote, you can still let your reps know what you think at every level of government.
Here are your representatives
Not sure what to say? Here are some issues that are trending:
- Gun control/Gun rights
- LGBT rights
- Reproductive rights
- National security
- Health Care
You can also talk about anything else that is important to You!
Not sure how to contact them? You can:
- Call (Check out 5calls.org )
- An email
- A postcard
- A Tweet
Please share a copy of your letter/or proof of your call in order to get service hours. You can get 1 hour of service per letter/call for a total of 3 hours.