We're challenging you...
...to Read Without Walls!
National Ambassador of Young People's Literature Gene Luen Yang encourages you to read more diversely by taking on his Reading Without Walls challenge.
There are three parts to the challenge.
1. Read a book about a character who doesn't look like you or live like you.
2. Read a book about a topic you don't know much about.
3. Read a book in a format you don't normally read for fun. This might be a chapter book, a graphic novel, a book in verse, a picture book, or a hybrid book.
For a bonus challenge, find a book that fits all three criteria!
We're tackling this project over the next month or so. To find our thoughts on each book, search for 'Reading Without Walls' in the search box above.
Not sure where to begin? Check out this amazing breakdown on The Hub. Tons of suggestions for each part of the challenge!
As for me, here are my initial choices:
1. American Street - Ibi Zoboi
2. Queer There and Everywhere: 23 people who changed the world - Sarah Prager
3. Loving vs. Virginia: a documentary novel of the landmark civil rights case - Patricia Hruby Powell
What would yours be?
Created by Izabel Gronski on
Aug 15th, 2017 @ 9:06 PM.
Updated on Aug 15th, 2017 @ 9:30 PM.